Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Is Social Media Making You Antisocial?

[Excerpt from my new post on uTweet.it]

It's the question that is being asked by media pundits, concerned parents and scientists alike: Is social media making us more connected, or is it making us antisocial? Here's my personal take on the issue:

I have a fairly social job that involves lots of interaction with clients and colleagues alike. I participate in three or four group social activities outside of work every week. I’m not dating at the moment, but otherwise I would say I have a fairly normal social life.

For me, social media is an extension of my social life. I interact with many of my real-life friends and acquaintances on Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, etc. In fact, several acquaintances who began to follow me on Twitter have commented that they feel they know me better now than when we only interacted face-to-face.

I also have a number of friendships with people around the world who I only know through social networks. In any given week, I may exchange ideas – or more likely, snarky comments and thinly veiled innuendo – with hundreds of people who I may never meet in real life, and who I certainly would not know were it not for Twitter.

For me, social media really is social. Ultimately, the fact that I want to have interesting things to share on Twitter or Tumblr or Foursquare or Yelp often gives me a little extra push to be more social and try new things in my “real life.” And the information and ideas I'm exposed to on social networking sites often generate interesting and rewarding face-to-face interactions.

No comments: