Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Do you find that people are more dull than curious: Don't you find life more interesting when you ask questions and learn. A lot of people are so afraid of discussion.

Okay, statement-in-the-form-of-a-question-person: Yes, not particularly, and yes, they are.

I do find people are mostly rather more dull and listless than curious. I myself am on the dullish side, at least when measured against the ideal. (Not really. In fact, I'm tremendously brilliant -- scintillating, even -- but it doesn't do to toot one's own horn, now does it.)

Genuine curiosity about one's fellows is an exceedingly rare quality. Most of us are only curious insofar as it translates into direct personal benefit. I want to know about you so I can get you to like me or to let me do things to you (in the naughty way).

(When I say I, I don't mean I, I. I mean I in the ironically-self-deprecating-but-really-above-all-that-spiritually-superior sense of the word.)

And no, I don't find life to be substantially improved by the asking questions. Questions? Blech. If you ask questions you get answers that people expect you to pay attention to and remember, and who needs that kind of pressure. (See how relatable I am? Charming. A real "everyman," don't you think?)

Ask me anything

No comments: